Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Third day in An Giang......Getting better





Today when we arrived Emma Duong came out to meet me. I am sure she was told to go to me but I was prepared with pringles, a beanie baby and candy. I know that sounds bad, but I'm just trying to connect and if it is with bribery right now so be it. Each day the kids have been the most excited over the candy, so I went to the store and stocked up. I also brought my computer which has many pictures of Emma Duong and her friends on it. They love to look at pictures of themselves. Looking at pictures warmed her up a bit and started our day off on a good note. My computer took a beating but seems to have survived. Today we were told to bring our presents. They were all left on Emma Duong's bed which was probably not the best idea. All the kids were rummaging through everything. Emma Duong loved the clothes even though they were too small for her....guess no matter what a girl's background is clothes are important. She is going to be fun to shop with. I also had the dillon staff sit down with Emma Duong and I and go through the book I made her of her family. She gets real quite and whispers when asked about the pictures in the book. She kept going back to the picture of the house and pointing. Chen would talk to her and she would nod like she understood at some level what she was being told. For every picture they will have her repeat the word in english, for instance the picture of my house they will say the vietnamese name for home and then say it in english and have her repeat it. She still has great reservations about me, but is was a better day. They push her too much with making her come to me and when we were leaving they were trying to make her hug and kiss me which is jut wrong but its hard to make them understand its okay for her to be standoffish right now.

This morning we find out if our G&R is today. We all really hope so. We have been in An Giang since Sunday and the orphanage 3 times. Its just time to move on and start working on the paperwork so that we can get home. We did find out yesterday that the passport pictures were taken yesterday by the orphanage staff. They took Emma Duong and Mya on a motorbike to get their pictures taken. I would love to have that picture. Two little girls probably having the time of their life.

Hopefully my next post will be from Ho Chi Minh..............

5 comments:

Patty said...

I am hoping and praying that your G&R is today!

Patty said...

Steve says you better not have bribed her with Pringles! He said it should have been Lays Stax!
Hey, if they worked, that is all that matters!

Puppy said...

When u say that Emma saw pics of the family..and she was quiet...did it ever occur to you that shes a cat hater???She's just frightened !!!
Seriously, remember motherhood is tough no matter what road you took to get there. But its also really amazing too! I am proud of you. We are praying for you and Emma. We hope tomorrow is the big day1
Thanks for keeping us in the loop!
A

steve said...

Thanks for the update! I am excited to meet Emma and see you'll together here in Tulsa. Love the pictures...we know everything will work out for the best and Emma is so blessed to have you!....Susie

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

You are already such a great mother - so much more concerned with Emma's comfort than your own need for hugs and kisses. You're just doing great! I'd have loved to see that motorbike picture too! :)

By the way, you don't have to call it bribery. You can call it positive reinforcement, and it REALLY works. If I were you, I'd keep a pocket full of Emma's favorite candies for awhile, and have lots and lots of neat toys for her to investigate on the plane.