Friday, July 27, 2007

G&R and crying in Ho Chi Minh........

I just adopted a 5 year old who does not like me!!!! G&R went fine. We went to a small room off the street to meet with the big officials and signed the documents that made Emma Duong mine. Everything went okay, although she still preferred everyone in the room to me. Bus trip to Ho Chi Minh was 4 hours and two ferrys. Emma Duong threw up half way to Ho Chi Minh, but she was able to communicate with me that her tummy hurt and therefore we saved a big mess. Miss C. from my adoption agency helped Emma Duong during this trip which has proved to be fatal to me right now. In the hotel lobby Emma Duong started crying and holding onto Miss C.. Made that transition okay, but after we all took a trip Pizza Hut (finally something I am used to) I got back in the room and a 45 minute crying and screaming episode started. Dick finally came in and calmed her down and she went to bed no problem. All day today we have been 2 seconds away from crying. There have been a few good moments but they don't last. Every vietnamese person I talk to says she is asking for Miss C. Took her to breakfast where she cried - we left. Took her to a late lunch where she cried (I did this after a store clerk told me she was hungry!!!) so we left. Had our doctors visit today. The doctor we saw today said she was undernourished - topping off at 29 pounds.... He said coming from an orphanage this was very common. He also asked questions like how are we getting along - boy did he get an ear full! I think he knew without asking because the other family was in the room and Emma Duong had plopped herself down with them in hopes of becoming a part of their family I am sure. Other than that shes okay.

Things that are working right. Showed her the bathroom once and that was it. She goes. Maybe I have to give her toilet paper, but we observed the children going outside at the orphanage so that she goes in the bathroom is a very good thing. It's not that alarming that the children go outside, on the way to An Giang we found out grown ups go outside too... She goes to bed great! I bring out her pjs, we change, I pull down the covers and she jumps in, no sounds, no hesitation (2 nights in a row now). She took a bath great....so many day to day things she does without a whimper or question - I think this is from orphanage living.

Oh, she is scared to death of the swimming pool. Didn't need to pack swim suits...

Wish me luck...........

5 comments:

Dianna said...

It will slowly get easier - hang in there and know that we are thinking of you!

- Dianna from the Dillon forum

Puppy said...

Kim,
This will not last forever...I know its hard but try to shake it off. It isnt that she "doesnt like you"...its that she "doesnt know you". Give it time...appreciate the peaceful nights...Imagine if she cried all night too!! We are praying for you. Get some rest...Be stong...
A

Rachel said...

Vomit on the bus on the way to HCMC. That brings back memories for me!

It's so incredibly tough in the beginning. I don't think there are adequate words to describe it. But just hang in there. We are all keeping you in our thoughts and good days are ahead!

Jill D said...

Kim - Please make sure you give her some dramamine before your next car or air trip. It will save her from feeling so bad and you from having to clean up!

Unknown said...

We are adopting a 4 yr old boy and I really think it is going to turn his world upside down too. what is going to hurt is how he is so happy in all his pictures and I so want to see that beautiful smile in person. Thank goodness God's mercies renew each morning so I am sure He will continue to warm her to you every day.