Monday, July 23, 2007

Second day in An Giang....a bit tough

Today was our second trip to the orphanage and it was tough in the fact that Emma is not warming up, in fact she hid when we came in. I can only imagine what is going on inside her little mind. She's five, she's stubborn and all the caregivers are pushing her to me and telling her she has to go to this complete stranger who looks nothing like her. She spent most of the day running to everyone but me...then they would force her to go to me and she would but reluctantly. I think it would have been better to have the G&R today and just get the transfer over with. Tomorrow we go back again, because the G&R has been pushed to Wednesday. I am going to show up with candy which they all love and give her space tomorrow and ask the caretakers to not force her to do something she does not want to do. I was prepared for rough times, of course it still smarts, and I know she'll come around with time. Its going to get worse before it gets better. I'm not getting that "honeymoon" experience with Emma but she is older and needs time to work this out in her own way. One time while she was in my lap I started tickling her and she actually laughed. She does laugh alot but just not for me, so I got a glimpse of a happy girl.

On the bright side she did sing a song for me which was very cute and Thomas from Dillon has kept telling me how smart she is and that she does want to go. Her vocabulary in Vietnamese is very fluent and she can write a bit, at least I think it is writing. We took one batch of pictures of Dillon children at the orphanage and Melanie is going to take another batch tomorrow. Will download them to Jynger when we are back in Ho Chi Minh.

Before the orphanage we toured an open market. Can hardly wait until I can download pictures better. Yesterday I was leary of my hotel room, today it is 5 star! We made a purchase in the market. Oranges. The women selling the oranges probably charged us 10 times the normal selling rate and she was smiling the whole time. Oh well. If you would have seen this place you would have paid her extra too. We are headed out tonight for a Vietnamese dinner with the Dillon staff. I am totally starved right now having had a bit of fried rice for breakfast, a power bar and orange for lunch and probably 3 bottles of warm water. Their is a coke chilling in my fridge right now which I am guarding with my life and saving for tomorrow. You can buy pop here its just not remotely cold. I am admittedly a picky eater, but my brother who is not turned down food today as well. Why he thought fish soup would be good for breakfast I have no idea.

Wish me luck tomorrow.....

5 comments:

Scott and Leslie said...

Hang in there! It will take time for your sweet baby to adjust.

When you get back to HCMC try the food in the coffee shop on the corner, next to the Rex. It is pretty good! The best food was at the Somerset Hotel in Hanoi.

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

You are doing great, Kimberly! Your patience will be rewarded in the long run, because Emma will know you as a kind and loving mother soon! Enjoy your time and thanks for letting us see AG through you!

Patty said...

Hi Kim!

I was so excited to get to work and see your news!
Emma is so pretty and I love her name!
It will get better, she just needs a little time.
How is Dick doing? Is it nice to have him with you?
I hope all goes well tomorrow!! E-mail me if you get a chance!

Tammy said...

Holy cow Kim..I finally figured out the blog thing. Emma (Bailey?) is awfully cute. All those years of you having a stubborn, defiant room-mate has prepared you for this. Emma's just getting used to the idea of having a mommy. This is a huge adjustment for you both so keep your chin up and don't let Dick scare her too much.
Take care..Enjoy...

Jill D said...

I am so excited for you and little Emma Doung!
I almost cried reading your posting about the drive to the organzage and its surroundings. I almost cried again reading about her reaction to your visit. I am sure she is absolutely terrified of the changes she is facing and her behavior is completely normal. However, it hurts you as her new mom nonetheless. It hurts my feelings when my own little girl doesn't want me to hold her - and I have never even spent a night away from her! I can't imagine how hard it must be for the two of you. Nevertheless, she will come around soon enough because this is the best thing to ever happen to either one of you. I am so proud of you for doing this and sticking it out. She is a very lucky little girl.
Can't wait to meet her when she is ready!