Friday, July 27, 2007

A morning at the zoo......

Woke up today with arms folded across chest. Not a good sign. Tears all the way through breakfast where she ate nothing at all. Jumped into a cab for $2 and went to the zoo. We spent four hours at the zoo and had a pretty good time. She was kind of interested in the animals but there are little rides and games that really got her attention. Scared to death to get on any of the rides but finally I just plopped her down on a ride that is probably made for 3 year olds and under. She did okay and wanted to ride one more. That broke the ice to try a tiny car go cart which is again was probably made for younger than her but she did it - no problems at all. She was ready to get out but good strides in the right direction. She really perked up when she saw the bikes. These bikes were probably 20 years old and rusted but she wanted to go. I held the handle bars because from the pictures I have seen she is only used to training wheels and from the way she rode I am sure she would have fallen if I had let go. She loved it.. Not scared and wanted to go and go and go. I heard her tummy growling this morning when she got up - at the zoo I think she took care of that problem for awhile. She ate three bags of some kind of chips and part of a bag of cherries. She picked them all out and it is food which she is not eating alot of, so yes, it is bad food but that is the most she has eaten since she left the orphanage.

We are back in the room and she is playing in her fort with all of her toys. We have been back over an hour and so far so good. I think later we are going to try a trip shopping, maybe Pizza Hut for dinner and then back for our 8pm bedtime.

Note to animal lovers traveling to Vietnam..... um, I am desparate to find something to help Emma Duong's grief and this was a great distraction. I would rather not comment or think about the living condition of the animals in the zoo. There are shows going on and the small kids amusement park and a train that you can ride around the park if you want out with your kiddo. The grounds are well kept. $2 cab ride from the Rex....

Fingers are crossed today!

3 comments:

Patty said...

Sounds like things are going a little better!

It looks beautiful there!

Ran the Dillon Race last night and thought about you the whole time! Lots of kiddos that reminded me of Emma. Next year you and Emma will be out there with us!

Saw Sarah M and she told me to tell you she is thinking about you!

Love the pictures from the zoo! Especially the one of Dick with his head in the penquin's mouth. I hope Emma enjoyed that!

We miss you!

Puppy said...

Looks like you gained some ground at the zoo! Yeah! Maybe when you get home you can write a "how to" bookv for other adopting families? The girls and I look forward to your blogs everyday...thanks for sharing
:)A

Laura said...

I know what you mean about the zoo =) or is it =( ? I'm glad for you though that it helped distract Emma. She is precious and no doubt will come to love and appreciate you soon!