Monday, September 10, 2007

Miss Emma.........



Emma Duong has been home five weeks now and things are going well. She is a very happy little girl who is trying hard to fit into her new world. In five weeks Emma Duong has: started school at the Undercroft Montessori where she currently goes for 1/2 day and according to the teachers is delightful; attended her first OU football game successfully; and ran in her first 1km fun run with a time of 10 minutes 25 seconds (but who's counting).

Emma repeats almost everything you say but has yet to put english words into a sentence. She still jabbers non-stop in vietnamese but knows the important english words that help her get by: bathroom, hungry, no way, shopping and thank you.


I was told by her caregivers that she liked to sing and they were right. She sings non-stop. Once she has heard a tune a couple of times she has it down.. the words are a bit interesting but the tune is usually perfect. She sings at night in bed, she sings in the car, and now most of the tunes are from some sing-along cds she got at her Welcome Home shower. I have not heard a vietnamese song in awhile.

Each week is getting better and better for Emma and I and I am so looking forward to the day the language barrier goes away and we can talk. We do communicate well, but it is alot of pointing and one word sentences.


4 comments:

Leigh said...

What a delightful post! I am so happy that your adjustment is going well. I am sure the language will come.

She's adorable! BOOMER.....

Bob said...

Your daughter is beautiful. Our son is in An Giang and I wanted to ask you questions about the orphanage if you are allowed to answer. I am Carla C on the Dillon forum and I just posted a message on the forum with my email address. I know you are busy with your new daughter!
Thanks~Carla

Bill, Paula & Will Cook said...

So, so, so cute! I'm glad that you are settling in well! I knew that you would do great - so much love there from Day One! :)

Dianna said...

Shopping and No Way are definitely important things for 5 year old girls to say! *lol* I'm so thrilled that Emma is settling in and looking so happy. Just as she should be :)